2018 – The Year in Review
The past year has been a great one for Canada Bay Club, with a diverse range of events and improvements being made to our facilities so we can offer more for our valued members to enjoy.
The Club’s focus is to always be a part of the community, as a meeting place for our members and, in turn, provide support to local organisations. In the 2017-18 financial year, Canada Bay Club distributed over $575,000 to local community organisations. Through this funding, local schools purchased books and laptops; sporting teams bought jerseys and sporting equipment and paid for first aid officers to attend their games. Other community groups used the funding to provide social group activities and outings for their members. It’s so great to see these funds being utilised in areas that are in need of support.
Canada Bay Club is the major contributor in the City of Canada Bay Local Government Area to Category 1 funding, through the ClubGRANTS program. We support over 150 community groups that are making a difference in our local area.
Here is a list of just some of the community organisations we have financially assisted during this period:
- Cara Care – Canada Bay Club provided funds for the Wrapped in Angels program for children who have suffered trauma and abuse.
- Yellow Diamond – The Club was a sponsor of this fundraising event.
- Concord Hospital – The Club sponsored the Rivendell Gala Dinner and Flower Show with proceeds going to the Ageing and Alzheimer’s Institute at Concord Hospital.
- Balmain Fun Run – Canada Bay Club sponsored this event, which raised funds for Balmain Public School and The Run Beyond Project.
- BayRun – The Club has been a long-time sponsor of this event.
- Inner West Neighbourhood Aid – The Club supported Older Pets for Older People and Stretching Mind and Body.
- Breakfast Point Men’s Shed – The Club provided funds to purchase a new electric saw.
- Learning Links – Canada Bay Club sponsored Counting for Life and Building Capacity for classroom teachers to support students with dyslexia and dyscalculia.
- Participate Australia – Canada Bay Club supported two programs: a fitness classes and a performance workshop for people with an intellectual disability.
- Royal Life Saving Society of NSW – Our funds will train 80 year 11 students in the City of Canada Bay area first aid and CPR.
ClubGrants Launch Event
The Canada Bay Club hosted over 120 guests at the ClubGrants Launch Event in September this year. The event brings together the many and varied organisations that Canada Bay Club supports to acknowledge and celebrate their work, much of it carried out by volunteers. Representatives from the Inner West Bulls, Inner West Futsal Magic and Inner West Neighbourhood Aid shared their experiences with attendees of the benefits of community partnerships.
At the event another $10,000 was given back into the community by Canada Bay Club. Abbotsford Public School, Birchgrove Public School, West Harbour Rugby Club, Abbotsford Juniors Football Club and Canada Bay Community Choir each won $2,000 through a community draw.
Directors’ Meat Raffle
Our popular Directors’ Meat Raffles that take place every Thursday evening. Over the year we have raised over $35,000 for the following organisations:
- Vision Australia;
- Participate Australia;
- Country Valley Milk in Picton (adopt-a-cow initiative);
- Drought Angels;
- Aussie Helpers
Staff Member of the Year
Canada Bay Club’s 2018 Staff Member of the Year is Simon Xin. Simon is an absolute model employee. His work ethic is a rarity and he always goes the extra mile for the patrons of the Club. Simon understands what needs to be done and never complains about requests that come his way. He genuinely cares about the team and the Club, and in return he is loved by all patrons and staff. Congratulations Simon.
21 years of Ferragosto
Ferragosto, a festival of all things Italian, celebrated its 21st year in 2018. As the City of Canada Bay’s largest annual event, Canada Bay Club is proud to support this community event which is held on Great North Road in Five Dock. Every year Canada Bay Club has a stall and joins in the festivities of the day.
Events at the club in 2018
Thank you to all our members who attended our special social events throughout the year. From the Melbourne Day Cup Luncheon and Mothers’ Day Dinner Dance to the Christmas in July Dinner Dance and the New Year’s Eve Gala Dinners, the club loves organising these functions to bring you together to celebrate life’s big occasions. Don’t forget – the club has world-class function facilities for all your event needs in 2019. Book now for upcoming significant birthday, anniversary or engagement party. Find out more here.
Thanks once again for your patronage throughout the year. We wish you a safe and happy festive season and look forward to 2019 being even bigger and better for our members.