The Canada Bay Club is calling for pre-nominations for any individual interested in standing for election to the Board of Directors.
The role of a Director combines important aspects of good corporate governance with strategic leadership and ambassadorship for the club. As the Board of Directors has significant influence on the management and financial performance of the club, it also requires a strong grasp of Fiduciary and Financial concepts to carry out the role effectively.
The club’s constitution requires all individuals wishing to pre-nominate to satisfy the following criteria:
• Be an ordinary member of the Club for five years, or a Life Member
• Successfully complete training – ClubsNSW Pre-Nomination Director Training Module Covering the following key components:
• History of Clubs in NSW: mutuality, benefits of clubs and a review of IPART.
• Role of a Director: a director, must be solvent, honest and act in good faith & demonstrate confidentiality, understand conflicts of interest, elections and voting, make decisions in relation to community development and support.
• The Law: Liquor Act, Gaming Machines Act, Corporations Act, Registered Clubs Act, OH&S, constitutions, contracts, disposal of club property and amalgamations.
• Compliance: financial reporting and the Anti-Money Laundering Counter Terrorism Financing Act.
The annual pre-nomination course conducted by a Clubs NSW representative will be held at Canada Bay Club Five Dock 6pm Monday 18 September 2023. If you are attending please notify the CEO Joumana Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Friday 1 September 2023.
Once elected, you will then complete two additional Clubs NSW mandatory training modules ~ Finance for Club Boards and Directors Foundation and Management. These modules were developed by Clubs NSW, in consultation with the Liquor & Gaming Authority, in direct response to the recommendations of the NSW Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal’s (IPART) 2008 report. They form part of the legal accreditation required to fulfil the responsibilities of the role of club director.
If you believe you have skills and financial literacy to contribute to the club and its community as a director, you are encouraged to contact the CEO Joumana Jacob. A one-on-one consultation can also be arranged to outline the process to you in full and to assist you in assessing your suitability for the role.